The SSA business provides a diverse basket of branded, generic, OTC and consumer health products which are supplied to both the private and public sectors primarily in South Africa. Our Regional Brands have strong brand equity in our home market and we continue to be the leading pharmaceutical company in the South African private sector. Our presence outside of South Africa is mainly in Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Uganda.
Contribution to Group revenue (%)
Revenue by segment (%)
- The South African private pharmaceutical sector was valued at R44,6 billion for the year ended 30 June 2019
- In South Africa, five out of the top 20 brands in the private sector were Aspen products for the year ended 30 June 2019
- Aspen is ranked as the number one pharmaceutical company in the South African private sector with a 12,7% share by value
- Aspen has a strong presence in East Africa through Beta Kenya and Shelys Tanzania*
Source: June 2019 IQVIA
Number of products launched:
In-market sales value of pipeline as at 30 June 2019 anticipated to be launched in:
0 – 2 years
3 – 5 years
Number of product recalls:
Average staff turnover†:
Number of work-related fatalities:
Number of permanent employees:
* South Africa only, rest of SSA not covered by IQVIA.
^ Includes 320 employees transferred with the disposal of the Nutritionals business.
# The number of product launches has been restated to take into account discontinued operations.
† Rate excludes employees transferred in Nutritionals disposal.
|Regional Brands||7 867||7 883||0|
|Sterile Focus Brands||119||153||(22)|
|Total Commercial Pharmaceuticals||7 986||8 036||(1)|
|Total Manufacturing revenue||589||942||(37)|
|Finished dose form||236||588||(60)|
|Active pharmaceutical ingredients||353||354||0|
|Total||8 575||8 978||(4)|
Note: Commercial Pharmaceuticals revenue is disclosed by customer geography and manufacturing revenue by place of manufacture.