The SSA business provides a diverse basket of branded, generic, OTC and consumer health products which are supplied to both the private and public sectors primarily in South Africa. Our presence outside of South Africa is mainly in Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Uganda.
Contribution to Group revenue
Revenue contribution - by therapeutic category
- The South African private pharmaceutical sector was valued at R42,9 billion for the year ended 30 June 2018.
- Aspen is ranked as the number one pharmaceutical company in the South African private sector with a 12,9% share by value.
- About one in every five scripts dispensed by South African pharmacists is for an Aspen product, as recorded by ImpactRx.
- In South Africa, six out of the top 25 brands in the private sector for the year ended 30 June 2018 were Aspen products.
- Aspen has a strong presence in East Africa through Beta Kenya and Shelys Tanzania.
Source: June 2018 IMS
Number of products launched:
IMS* value of pipeline as at 30 June 2018 anticipated to be launched in:
0 – 2 years
3 – 5 years
Number of product recalls:
Average staff turnover:
Number of work-related fatalities:
Number of permanent employees:
* South Africa only, rest of SSA not covered by IMS.# The number of product launches has been restated as a result of the refinement of the product launch definition.
|Revenue – R’million||2018||2017 (CER)||% change|
|Total||10 008||9 571||5|
|Commercial Pharmaceuticals||8 127||7 402||10|
|Regional Brands||7 876||7 124||11|
|High Potency & Cytotoxics||99||126||(21)|
Note: Commercial Pharmaceuticals revenue by customer geography and manufacturing revenue by place of manufacture