AFRICA MIDDLE EAST
This region consists of 45 countries and is the number one region in the Commercial Pharmaceuticals segment by revenue, mainly driven by South Africa. Across the multiple countries in the region, commercial and sales employees not only support well-established local brands, but also internationally recognised medicines, with both having strong brand equity attributes. The primary manufacturing site in the region is in Gqeberha, South Africa, which has manufacturing capabilities extending to steriles and biologicals that are extensive, niche and differentiated including high potency and hormonal solids, as well as vaccines and other state-of-the-art sterile capabilities. There are two further regional manufacturing sites in South Africa which are located in Cape Town and East London. Additional regional sites in Africa are in Ghana, Kenya and Tanzania.
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
|Eltroxin||Thyroid hormone replacement|
|Stilpane||Narcotic analgesic combinations|
NUMBER OF PERMANENT EMPLOYEES
Number of products launched:
Number of product recalls:
Average staff turnover:
Number of work-related fatalities:
|Commercial Pharmaceuticals||8 403||8 633||(3)|
|Regional Brands||7 878||8 108||(3)|
|Sterile Focus Brands||525||525||0|
|Total||10 275||9 560||7|
Note: Commercial Pharmaceuticals revenue is by customer geography and manufacturing revenue by place of manufacture
- The South African private pharmaceutical sector was valued at R52,04 billion MAT** for the period ended June 2022.
- Aspen is ranked as the number one pharmaceutical company in the South African private sector with a 9,40% share by value.
- By 2025, Middle East & Africa (“MEA”) pharma market is collectively estimated to be USD56 billion, with UAE and Egypt contributing 24,0% and 17,4% respectively.
- Middle East, North Africa & Turkey (“MENAT”) pharmaceutical market is expected to grow by 4,63% CAGR from 2021 – 2024, driven mainly by Turkey and Egypt.
* Sources: IQVIA TPM MAT** June 2022, IQVIA Middle East & Africa Pharmaceutical Market Insights – Released June 2022; Source: IQVIA May 2022 MAT.
** Moving annual total.