Aspen’s Asia Pacific business comprises operations in Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan and Japan. Efforts are underway to establish an operation in China, following Aspen’s recent acquisition of anaesthetic and thrombosis products from AstraZeneca and GSK in this country. These operations supply a diversified portfolio of branded prescription, generic, OTC, consumer and infant nutritional products into Australia and New Zealand and the majority of countries in Asia. Certain tablets, liquids and semi-solids are produced at the Group’s manufacturing site in Melbourne, while other products for customers of this business are sourced from Aspen’s global manufacturing sites and accredited third-party manufacturers.
BUSINESS UNIT OVERVIEW
Key business units
Key countries supplied to in this region
• Australia • China • Hong Kong • Indonesia • Japan • Korea • Malaysia • New Zealand
• Philippines • Singapore • Taiwan • Thailand • Vietnam
• On 1 September 2015, Aspen Australia successfully completed the divestment of a portfolio of products, consisting mainly of generics, to Strides Arcolab. The final payment for this transaction was received during November 2015.
• In August 2015, NZNM, the infant nutritionals site in Auckland, New Zealand in which Aspen has a 50% joint venture stake, commenced supply of S-26 infant nutritionals into Aspen Australia’s infant nutritionals division. A new facility was commissioned at this site in December 2015, which increased capacity to 24 tonnes.
• Aspen’s Asian businesses (those Asia Pacific businesses outside of Australasia) delivered a combined revenue growth of 29%, with Aspen Japan successfully completing its first full year of trading.
• Following the acquisition of a global anaesthetics portfolio from AstraZeneca and the rights to the Arixtra and Fraxiparine products from GSK, the process of establishing Aspen’s Chinese business has commenced to ensure that Aspen is in a position to trade in this territory in the 2017 financial year.
• IMS values the Australian pharmaceutical sector at AUD16,7 billion, with Aspen currently being ranked second by volume and ninth by value in this sector. Almost one in six scripts written in Australia is for a product distributed by Aspen.
• The combined Asian pharmaceutical sector is valued at almost USD203,5 billion by IMS in 2016. China has overtaken Japan as the largest market in Asia at USD78,9 billion, with Japan now valued at USD73,1 billion. The total IMS value of the countries where Aspen will have local operations in Asia will reach USD197,3 billion, following the launch of Aspen’s Chinese operation in the 2017 financial year.
• Aspen Nutritionals Australia was awarded the “Readers Digest Most Trusted Brand Award” in the Baby Formula category for S-26.
• Bio-Oil won the prestigious Australia “Priceline Cult Product of the Year”.
• Valda was awarded the “2016 Best Consumer Health Brand” within the throat drops category by the well-renowned Taiwan Management Magazine.
• Cortal was awarded the “Health, Wellness & Beauty Award” in Hong Kong by Watson’s, the largest healthcare and beauty care chain in Asia.
Contribution to Group
comparable gross revenue
Contribution to Group
Number of products launched from pipeline:
24 (2015: 34)
IMS value of pipeline as at 30 June 2016 anticipated to be launched in:
0 – 2 years
3 – 5 years
Number of permanent employees:
772 (2015: 844)
Average staff turnover:
23% (2015: 24%)
Number of product recalls:
1 (2015: 1)
Number of work-related fatalities:
Nil (2015: Nil)
1 986 tCO2e
(2015: 2 907 tCO2e)
16 427 tCO2e
(2015: 22 091 tCO2e)